http://www.polldaddy.com/s/CFAB7A90241B949B/

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Tell your donors that you value them!

In the last post, Rick talked about a study of annoying customer "service" habits. Today, I had a REALLY bad customer service experience. I bought a piece of furniture. When I got it home, I found that it was damaged. Today, I attempted to return it.

Well, the store manager told me that there was only one more and it was on hold for someone (not purchased - just on hold). My options were to return it or have her order another one. I asked how long that would take and she said it was hard to tell because we are entering the holiday season... That's it. No apologies. No offer to call another store and have it shipped. No offer to give me the floor model at a reduced price.

So, here I am as a current customer who now feels absolutely of no value and yet, at that moment, this store had a significant amount of my money. I wonder how many online donors feel this way? The internet allows nonprofits to collect funds, but do they also thank their "customers" or report the use of that money. I'm not talking about newsletters that report back, but honest thank you's.

The internet is the perfect channel to simply, cheaply and easily make donors feel valued. Tell your donors that you appreciate them - that you value their faith in your organization. You'll build good will and a sense of loyalty.

-Heather

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home